Tuesday, June 17, 2014

I'm gonna pop some tags

Only got twenty dollars in my pocket...

There are plenty of reasons that I've started driving electric - it's environmentally friendly, they're fun to drive, they don't help fund big oil, etc.  One of the biggest reasons is that I'm cheap with a capital 'C'.  And as a self proclaimed cheapskate, I struggled long and hard with the decision as to whether or not to order the REx when I placed the order for my i3.  In the end, I opted against it, mostly because I didn't have a choice but to keep our Audi A6 Avant.  I had to keep it because the street I live on isn't navigable after a snow storm unless you have AWD or 4WD.  There was one storm this past winter where I almost didn't get off my street - and that was with AWD and winter tires.  And since I had to keep it, having a BEv with gas backup made much less sense than it would have otherwise.

But now my inner cheapskate really needs to know, did I make the right decision?  I'll likely only know the answer to that somewhere down the road.  In the interim I've started to keep track of how much driving the A6 is costing me v. completing the same trip with a REx.  To assess whether I made a good financial decision, I'll be tracking total cost to drive the A6 compared to the theoretical cost of the REx for the same trip.  I'll also keep track of my excess CO2 emissions resulting from using the Audi.

With one trip under my belt where I could have utilized a REx I've already spent $21.07 extra in gas and produced an additional 119 pounds of CO2 v. what the REx would have done.  Since the cost of the REx would have been $3850 + sales tax, I'll need to spend $4073.41 more in gas over the next 3 years for it to have been the wrong decision.  Guess we'll see how it goes...

I'll update this post periodically as additional trips are added to the spreadsheet.

And for those of you anxiously awaiting part 2 of  'She was Queen for About an Hour', don't fret, this post just leapfrogged it as a result of our impromptu Long Island trip this past weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment